North Carolina Essential Standards Third Grade Visual Arts
Note on Numbering/Strands:
V - Visual Literacy, CX – Contextual Relevancy, CR – Critical Response
Visual Literacy Essential Standard
3.V.1 Use the language of visual arts to communicate effectively.
- 3.V.1.1 Use art vocabulary, including specific artistic terms.
- 3.V.1.2 Understand that artists use their art to express personal ideas.
- 3.V.1.3 Identify themes from masters’ works.
- 3.V.1.4 Understand characteristics of the Elements of Art, including lines, shapes, colors, textures, form, space, and value.
- 3.V.1.5 Understand characteristics of the Principles of Design, including repetition, movement, emphasis, contrast, balance, proportion, harmony, and unity.
3.V.2 Apply creative and critical thinking skills to artistic expression.
- 3.V.2.1 Create art through a process that includes generating ideas, planning solutions, and producing original art.
- 3.V.2.2 Use personal point of view and experiences as sources for creating art.
- 3.V.2.3 Create art from realistic sources of inspiration.
3.V.3 Create art using a variety of tools, media, and processes, safely and appropriately.
- 3.V.3.1 Understand how a single tool can be manipulated in multiple ways, safely and appropriately.
- Use a variety of media with refined skills.
- Create art using the processes of drawing, painting, weaving, printing, stitchery, collage, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, and current technology.
Contextual Relevancy Essential Standard
3.CX.1 Understand the global, historical, societal, and cultural contexts of the visual arts.
- 3.CX.1.1 Exemplify how visual arts are used by various groups for artistic expression within the local community.
- 3.CX.1.2 Understand how art documents the history of the local community.
- 3.CX.1.3 Classify artists, styles, and movements.
- 3.CX.1.4 Compare purposes of art in different cultures, time periods, and societies.
- 3.CX.1.5 Use local, natural, or recycled resources to create art.
3.CX.2 Understand the interdisciplinary connections and life applications of the visual arts.
- 3.CX.2.1 Understand how artists fit or function within a society.
- 3.CX.2.2 Understand how to use information learned in other disciplines, such as math, science, language arts, social studies, and other arts in visual arts.
- 3.CX.2.3 Use appropriate collaborative skills to create a work of art
- 3.CX.2.4 Understand how visual arts has changed and remained the same, with changes in digital media.
Critical Response Essential Standard
3.CR.1 Use critical analysis to generate responses to a variety of prompts.
- 3.CR.1.1 Analyze art in terms of the Elements of Art and Principles of Design.
- 3.CR.1.2 Evaluate the compositional and expressive qualities of personal works of art